Monday, June 9, 2014

Solo trip - Day One in Zagreb, Croatia



Ok I think I should stop procrastinating on blogging about my solo trip.

After separating from zh at Zagreb Airport to go to Zagreb city centre, I felt... liberated. The feeling of being able to do what I want and go wherever I like was exhilarating. No longer do I need to accommodate nor listen to someone's nagging and I truly felt the freedom of a bird. Maybe I should thank zh for making me love my solo trip more. Meh.

There were some minor hiccups like attempting to walk to the city centre from Zagreb Bus Terminal but gave up after getting lost for a bit and decided to take the tram instead and I didn't pay heheh. I was having great difficulty trying to carry my luggage up the tram and I was thankful that there were kind souls who helped. A guy even wanted to offer me his seat seeing me with my luggage. The luggage wasn't that big to be honest but maybe in comparison to my size it is. Hmph. Wasn't sure where to alight at first but after seeing this square I was sure I was at the right stop.



So I explored Zagreb, walking around to find food and I chanced upon this long street of restaurants and bars and wished that my exchange friends were with me. :'(







After walking through the street, I saw this Zagreb speciality fried bread balls and I asked the shopkeeper what it is. To my surprise, she gave me one free ball to try. I felt a bit bad for not buying after trying but she was still very friendly and cool about it. :) I went to a restaurant to try some Croat cuisine after that. It was kinda sad as there were no more seats outside and I had to dine in the restaurant alone. Apparently there was no customer inside the restaurant. For some reason the staff were especially nice to me, maybe because I looked lonely with no friends? But I had a really great dinner with some lamb meatballs with goat cheese (and free wifi). I ordered a Croat beer which made me super red, as usual. I love the interior of the restaurant too. :)




After dinner, I walked around Zagreb and ended up at this cathedral. I was never a fan of cathedrals but this time I appreciated it more as it was one of the last few cathedrals I would visit before I leave Europe. I asked two very cute old ladies to take a picture of me. It's really cool that they were travelling on their own in Zagreb at this age. 



For some reason every cathedral or architecture I go is under renovation. Why oh why. 

Went to a square (with free wifi) to people-watch on a bench with a bar opposite playing nice songs before heading back to Zagreb Bus Terminal to wait for the 12.30am bus to Rovinj. 

I was quite lost at the bus terminal as I didn't know where to wait for the bus. A Turkish lady saw me looking blur and asked me if I needed help. She asked her croat friend to help me find my bus stop and he was so kind to help me ask the info counter for me and brought me to the right gate to wait. Always thankful for these kind souls around when travelling. :)

Almost missed my bus after waiting for an hour or so lol. But thank god I went down to check if the bus came at 12.35. Phew. 



No comments:

Post a Comment